Wednesday, February 15, 2006

I heart _________. Day

I really think we should do away with the whole Valentine's day thing. And no, it's not because I am a bitter single woman. I am neither (okay, maybe occasionally bitter). But really, I think people get way too hung up on the whole day. I mean seriously, women feel bad about themselves and eat all the chocolate that is amply provided. Men most likely feel lonely or inadequate. This doesn't even mention the people who aren't in relationships (okay, only kidding).

But let's take on the people who are in relationships. I saw a news story about how the average person spends $100.00 on their valentine...really, $100.00??? What happened to good old-fashioned "I love you." Isn't that what matters?

So, I vote that we rename Valentine's day to "I heart _________. day. No, this doesn't mean you heart blank things...fill in the blank, duh! Then make it a day to celebrate that thing, whatever it may be.

Erin allowed her little Japanese students to do this and they came up with things like soccer, basketball, food and yes, a little boy named Hiroshi. Now wouldn't we all be in better shape if we participated in I heart marathons day??

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i got mentioned in al's blog! yaaaaay! yes, i know. i'm a love genius. :)

Anonymous said...

But what if you heart a lot of things? You'd need a bigger blank. And some more time to say or write them all. And celebrate them all. I vote we stick with Valentine's Day and just tweak the interpretation a little. Your Valentine can be whatever/whoever you want and you don't need to pay $100 for it.

Anonymous said...

I'm for tweaking the interpretation a little too. While we're at it, I think we should tweak the spelling as well. If we just reorder some of the letters from St. Valentines Day... we get Valient Nests Day...
Makes sense, don't you think?

-E

Anonymous said...

Removing Valentines day? The problem is that I (as an American) depend on the whole framework setup for draining my wallet. If this goes away than the whole world will fall to peices.

-Sam