Every year my mom's side of the family gathers for a Christmas Eve extravaganza. This shindig generally involves chatting, eating, laughing and opening presents. This year, however, it was someone's * brilliant idea to suggest that we have an American Idol style dance contest replete with judges. Yes, I said dance contest. It was cute when the little ones were breaking it down to 'Move it Like This' and 'Skater Boy.' It was hilarious when Cousin Luke grooved his way through 'Jenny from the Block.' But then it just got scary...my Aunt T brought her own wig and tambourine and My Aunt Selma asked if we could break out the turn table so she could dance to Janis Joplin. I had not had enough alcohol for any of this. All I could think while I was watching this mayhem was that I was afraid to ever bring anyone home for the holidays. Ever. My Cousin Sean asked if I was going to participate and when I quipped that he didn't know how much alcohol it would take, he replied that he just had to count the number I had had at the wedding this summer...which is where this whole harebrained idea was hatched to begin with.
In other news:
Christmas was quite kind to our family--everyone got what they wanted and it was all topped off with a little of Bing Crosby's 'I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas' coming true--which is exactly what I asked Santa for.
In proof that Oregon's kicker checks really do stimulate the economy: My mother bought herself a giant flat screen TV with hers, and I used mine (along with some financial aid from the Bank of Mom) to purchase a brand new pair of snowshoes.
I hope you and yours had a wonderful-dance contest free-holiday!
*No one will take responsibility, fess up or admit to the overall idiocy of this idea...
Wednesday, December 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment