Friday, December 23, 2005

Put Your Hands in the Air...

And wave them like you just don't care! Earlier today (about 10:00am) you would have found me rocking out to a kiddie version of "Since you've Been Gone" while jumping up and down and singing at the top of my tone deaf lungs. Normal behavior for me? Well, probably...but I was hanging out with Nat and we were having a blast.

There is just something about the unbridled joy of children that makes me giddy. I love when you chase them around threatening them with the "tickle monster" and they cackle with wild glee. When was the last time you did that?

I know it has been a long time since I engaged in such behavior. At least on a regular basis. Some people (with a little help from Sponge Bob) are teaching me to remember my inner child more often and I am learning to appreciate it.

It is a shame that most of us get to a point where we just can't be "crazy" anymore. What is so bad about running down a hill pell mell with your arms spread out making airplane noises? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. In fact, I would venture to say that if more people indulged their impish imulses the world might be better off...seriously, when is the last time that Condi Rice danced like a maniac? Probably a long damn time.

Remember that part in Garden State where Natalie Portman urges Zach Braff to have a unique moment? Well that is what I am urging alll of you to do...put your hands in the air...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My new goal for winter term is to act on my impish impulses...you'd better watch out!

Anonymous said...

Eh-hem. Update please! My days at work are becoming boring!!!

Anonymous said...

I just got home from St. Louis, where I too was doing the impish impulse thing with my little cousins, ages 10, 6, and 3. I hadn't had a tickle fight in years until last week, so I know what you mean. ;)