Saturday, December 17, 2005

Just in Case You're Still at the Airport...

So I know some of you are reading this to keep yourselves entertained during long waits at the airport. Others of you are reading this while pretending to be busy at work...you must be really bored...

A good topic for this evening (it is evening as I write this, but may be day time when you read it, nonetheless bear with me) is tradition. The holiday time always gets me thinking about traditions. In case you didn't know this, I am rather anal about traditions...ie, I don't like things to change.

Just this evening my mother was talking on the phone to my grandmother about what she should bring to christmas and my mother said the usual; rolls and crab dip. At this point I mumbled, what about the scrabble? But apparently my mother did not hear me. I didn't feel like repeating it because my grandmother is getting old and any added stress to her holiday agenda might not be a good thing. When my mother was off the phone, however, I repeated myself. Good question she said and proceeded to call my grandmother back to inquire after the scrabble. Already made was my grandmother's reply...damn, I love service like that. Now I know there will be a bowl of deliciousness in every possible corner of the house and I can't wait to hear grandpa admonish me when I pick out the pretzels...with the no picking rule as he slyly selects his favorites.

Although I am a strong traditionalist, I was also thinking about making new traditions this evening. My mother and I were watching Santa Clause 2 on tv (happening Saturday night, eh?) when I began to think about what it will be like to snuggle with my own children on a cold winter's night sometime in the future and indulge in our own rituals. This is one of the first times I have thought of having children and really relished in the idea...kinda scary!

Now to wax a bit cheesy...I hope all of you have somewhere warm and loving this holiday season and whether you are keeping traditions or starting new ones, I hope you enjoy them!

No comments: