I don't do x-mas letters. I love getting them, finding out what everyone is up to and peering at pictures of people I haven't seen in ten years in exotic locales, but I don't like to send them out. I never have, it seems too arduous a task. But I thought I might try something new this year--an electronic newsletter...that way you can read it if you want to and skip it if you don't and it won't end up in your gigantic junk mail pile. Here goes...
2006 was a pretty exciting year for me and my family. March saw the beginning of Evan's studies at the Western Culinary Institute in Hospitality and Restaurant Management. He loves it and seems to be pretty darn good at it--we all know how he can schmooze :). He is living in NW Portland with a friend from his program in a beautiful townhouse (that I would galdly kill for). He is also working at World Cup Coffee and Tea and generally living the chic urban lifestyle. He will graduate this June and will begin a career in an industry that seems to go 24/7--I guess it is good that he has always been a night owl!
June of this past year marked the completion of my first year of graduate school in Public Administration at the University of Oregon. It is an interesting, exciting field and I can't wait to get started in the "real" world (that adventure begins come this June--yes Evan and I managed to coordinate graduations once again :)). 2006 was also a year of great personal growth for me in terms of relationships and I continue to live by the mantra of no regrets and that every experience teaches us something. At the close of 2006 I learned that I had recieved a GTF for the net two terms--which means school will be paid for, which is awesome!
My mother continues to work and loves her job. OHSU has branched out to the river and her clinic is now located there. This means that she now rides the newly installed tram up and down the hill everyday. She was afraid at first, but now is determined to take her camera to capture some of the beautiful views.
Sydney is still trucking and turned 11 just before the Christmas holiday. What a lucky guy the sole expectations for his day are that he eats, sleeps and goes for a walk. He remains a great dog and despite his selective hearing--he is still a pretty good gaurd dog.
I was also able to take my birthday trip to Seattle again this year--I always love to spend that time with Mihak, Matt and all the other Whitties. It is definitely a week filled with friends, good food and drink and all around good times. My mom and I also traveled to Colorado this summer to see our cousin get married in Crested Butte...what a fantastic place--absolutely gorgeous! Laura and Jesse's wedding was definitely the stuff of fairytales :).
2007 holds lots of promise for me and my family. We are all on the brink of new and exciting opportunities and challenges and can't wait to see what the year has in store.
I hope this finds you all healthy and well--please embrace the new year with vigor and take care of yourselves!
Tuesday, January 09, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Wow Al, everything seems quite exciting. Good luck this 2007 with everything that life has ready and waiting for you!
~Linsey
I very much enjoyed that post! Even though I talk to you every day, I can never grow sick of Al updates ;) We've had many good times in the past, and I'm looking forward to the many more we'll have in the future!
~M
Post a Comment