Monday, October 22, 2007

Globetrotter





Lots has happened in the past couple of weeks. Most notably some traveling. A little over a week ago I awakened from my bed slightly hungover on an earlyish Friday morning jammed a few belongings and semi-passable work attire into a suitcase and caught a plane to Pittsburgh with a few of my co-workers.

Pittsburgh is actually a cool city despite what many had to say prior to my departure. It is an industrial town with a sooty past that is trying to rise from the ashes and pull back from the brink of despair to become one of the cultural and historical gems of the middle eastern United States. Sound familiar to anyone?

The city itself is bounded by two rivers which are crossed by several bridges (way more than Portland!) and is an interesting mix of sports, arts and tales of the past. It also has a wide variety of cuisine and true to rumor does serve french fries with just about everything! One of my friends described it as heaven, I am not sure I would go that far, but it is definitely worth a visit.

Barely two days (I don't think it even was technically 48 hours) after returning from Pittsburgh I set out for beautiful Walla Walla. If you read this blog often, or talk to me at all, you will know I have an unending love for tht special little place. This particular visit proved not to diminish that adoration one iota. It was a weekend filled with college shenanigans, delicious food, fantastic (and mostly free) wine and good friends. Whenever I roll along 12 (or 84 if I am coming from P-town) and see the windmills (or the glow from the Pen if it is night) my heart skips a little beat and my eyes well up...just a little...here I am doing my best impression of the yuppy wine tourists :).

No comments: