Sunday, November 18, 2007

How do you dial 911 with a missing finger?

Friday night reminded me how alone I am here in Tacoma. I was busily enjoying a night to myself and making some pad thai when near tragedy struck. I almost (emphasis on almost) cut the top half of my index finger off...(see pictures below--word to the wise this is not for the squeamish).

OUCH!

So while telling myself not to pass out I dialed my mother to ask for her medical expertise on whether I needed to go to the hospital or not. She thought I would be fine at home as long as I could stop the bleeding. So there I sat for nearly two hours with my finger above my head trying to keep blood from running down my arm--gross! I finally got a hold of Dustin who was able to bring me some gauze and tape on his way to a date (thank you again!).

Needless to say, a couple of days later and while my finger is still looking gross it seems to be healing okay. I made for quite the conversation at the bar Saturday night, but it also made me realize that I have no one here to go to the hospital with me. Who would sit and fill out paperwork and tell me it was okay to cry? Who would help me make decisions on medical questions? Who would be willing to give up their Friday night to ensure that I didn't bleed to death?

(To his credit, Dustin probably would've if I had asked him to--but where would I be if he were out of town?)

Here is the finger:

A front view.

And a side view...

No comments: