Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2007 Reflections

I am sitting here on the first night of 2008 just thinking about what the past 12 months have brought me. A lot of change and movement. I graduated from grad school, I moved to a new city, started a new job. I am thankful for all these blessings.

Yet, one thing still plagues me, and even as I think about it I feel like an angsty teenager. I have a love/hate relationship with love and relationships. It seems that no matter how many times I have learned that the stove is hot, I keep touching it and surprise, keep getting burned. 2007 proved to be no different.

My plan (and no I don't make resolutions--they're too easy not to keep) for 2008 is to stop mixing friendship and sex (that's messy), not to dip in the same pool twice (that's no fun), and to remain open and lighthearted, but not to settle for anything less than I want (that doesn't turn out well for me, and he is usually just waiting till something better comes along).

So yeah, that is what I am going to do for me this year. Now guys, it would be helpful if you would do a couple things too: don't beg your lady friends to sleep with you when either or both of you are drunk (that does not respect anybody), don't hit on me when I have just told you that your best friend hurt me pretty deeply (of course I will sleep with you, but it won't be because I like you, it will most likely be because I am drunk, and that just takes us back to part one), and finally, and above all, DON'T BE A JERK: You weren't raised by a pack of wolves, have some human decency, be honest and straightforward, she might not like it, but she'll respect you more later and her friends won't call you "The Asshole."

My two favorite lines from this year concerning relationships are: "I just don't know what I want," and "I am not really ready to commit to a relationship right now, but I would like to sleep with you." Read them over, how do they make you feel? Awesome? I didn't think so...

Here's to hoping my two favorite lines from 2008 are something like: "I really enjoyed getting to know you, perhaps we can do this again sometime," "And, hey, I know this is like the millionth time we've hung out this week (or month or year) but I was wondering if you'd like to come over and watch a movie..." Simple. Sweet. Honest.

Hey, a girl can dream, right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Al. I love your post. That is all.
-Lizzie