Thursday, January 26, 2006

Connections

So the other day I was walking home from work at percisely noon. Something I enjoy about noon on campus is that when the clock chimes the hour it also plays the fight song.

For several days now I have been trying to figure out why that song was so familiar to me. I went through several options...high school fight song? No... From watching so many OSU; UO contests over the years? No...

The reason that particular tune is so familiar to me is because it is the same tune as the Whitman hymn. Or so I think it is. We all know I am tone deaf and not the least bit musically inclined, but it makes me want to sing 'a college mid the fountains...dear old Whitman here's to you.'

Whether I am right or not is not really the point. The point is that it offers me a bit of familiarity, a place for rememberance in my everyday life...so dear old Whitman, here's to you!

No comments: