Monday, March 13, 2006

Fruitcakes

A verse in Jimmy Buffet's song Fruitcakes goes like this:

"Religion, religion...oh, there's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning. Where's the church, who took the steeple? Religion's in the hand of some crazy-ass people. Television preachers with bad hair and dimples. The God's honest truth is it's not that simple. It's the Buddhist in you, it's the Pagan in me. It's the Muslim in him, she's Catholic ain't she? It's that born-again look, it's the WASP and the Jew. Tell me what's going on? I ain't got a clue!"

I was revisitng Buffet's CD last week when these lyrics struck me. Religion (and everything else for that matter) really is in the hands of some crazy-ass people. It seems cliche, but can't we all just get along? Why does it seem to be a necessity of most organized religion that it exclude people? Now please, do not post a comment describing how your religion is not exclusivist in the least--I am sure it is, and I bet if you thought about it, you would realize it too.

On the subject of fruitcakes...I really hate people who walk too close behind you on the sidewalk. They freak me out. What are they trying to do? Steal something from my purse? Listen in on my phone calls? God forbid, touch me? Seriously, did they miss the numerous grade school lessons on personal space bubbles?

The term is winding down rather rapidly and I have a lot of work to do. I received two finals today. I am working on another one throughout the week as well. In the midst of all this all I really want to do is sleep and eat. Blah...

If I am not careful I will turn into a fruticake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that read:
"God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts."
Ha! Ha!
Don't turn into a fruitcake! Hang in there!