As the train chugged into Seattle two Sundays ago the conductor said, "Welcome to Seattle...known as the emerald city!" "Why?" one disgruntled passenger muttered. Good question, why is Seattle called the emerald city? Secondly, I think Eugene likes to call itself the emerald city as well (they have a baseball team known as the emeralds) Eugene is certainly more green--at least immediately. So this leads me to ponder, why is Seattle known by this nickname. The emerald city was that place that rose up behind the locked gates in the Wizard of Oz...is it a just nickname? Either way, I think I am caught between two Emeralds and hard place....er...whatever.
I realized the other day that it has been just over a year since I started this blog. Similarly, I visited Seattle just over a year ago on what is becoming somewhat of an annual birthday trip. I had fun as usual...I always do when Matt and Mihak are hosting :). Despite a brief bout with a hangover/flu combonation on Tuesday the rest of the week went swimmingly. Mihak and I went to the zoo with a little tyke, we hiked near Mount Rainier with a cast of characters and kayaked on Lake Union with Lukie! :) In addition, we managed to scare up a bit of night life and had an especially rollicking time at Chopsticks.
Most of my trip was for leisure/pleasure...but part of me was also researching. Trying Seattle on for size. It is not entirely uncomfortable. As I begin to embark on the job search in the next year I am trying to decide where I want to land. Looming quite large (especially now that I have freed myself from some obligations) is Seattle. After a week of research here is what I could come up with:
There are really two reasons Seattle beats out Portland:
1. Matt and Mihak (They're a package deal--not two seperate reasons :))
2. No smoking in bars (C'mon Portland, you call yourselves progressive?)
So I think what I need now is a little help--make your case for either of these places, or any place for that matter...let me know your vote! Mihak--you only get one plea and your vote only counts once!! :)
P.S. Boston would be good too--but I don't think I could do the East coast...but don't think you're not a good reason Rica! :)
Thursday, August 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I hear the vote to ban smoking in Portland bars will appear on a November referendum. I like fresh air, although the NPR program of the same name isn't my absolute favorite.
It has been on the ballot twice and has failed, if you really want it to pass you should get people psyched about the possibility of cancer-free lungs! I like Terry Gross...but maybe I am a weirdo :)
I am SO with you on the smoking situation!
If you are a west coast girl you should stay on this half of the country, it cultivates good people!
I don't really like Terry Gross either. But I'm a weirdo too.
Post a Comment