I realized about 2 weeks prior to 4th of July that I miraculously had an open weekend that weekend. So, I put together an evite and invited friends from far and wide to join me for a BBQ...as the day approached I realized that if I was going to have people over for a cook out I was going to need a grill!
It took me about 6 hours of going to every outdoor/hardware store in Tacoma to make a selection that would both meet my needs (small, easy to use, gas) and fit within my budget (preferably under $300)...but I finally made my selection and brought it home.
I (and I think everyone else) had a wonderful time at the BBQ partly due to the new awesome toy in my life...but after everyone left and all the food was put away buyer's remorse began to set in. I didn't really NEED the grill (I have a perfectly functional stove!) and this particular model was probably too extravagant...
These kind of thoughts nagged at me for days--luckily I was headed off on vacation and probably wouldn't have time to return the grill within the allotted 30 day return policy window. While away I happened to read the July chapter in the Happiness Project which focuses on buying happiness. Contrary to conventional wisdom the author argues that "Money, spent wisely, can support happiness goals of strengthening relationships, promoting health, having fun and all the rest.". This grill has proven to bear that out. For someone who is an under-spender like me, realizing the value of some key material goods is paramount to increasing one's happiness.
I LOVE cooking outdoors, I LOVE the ease with which the grill starts, cleans and shuts down, I LOVE entertaining people by cooking and hosting backyard parties. Suffice it to say, the grill has helped to maximize my potential happiness.
To celebrate I cooked my first grill pizza this evening (I cheated by starting with a TJ's pre-made flatbread):
In short, I encourage you to think about treating yourself from time to time. Bon appetit!


1 comment:
Awesome! I want to make a grilled pizza!!
Post a Comment